Wednesday, January 10, 2018

The News Can Wait

my favorite typewriter
I took a break from the news, quit consuming it for a month and it did me good. I've let myself look at some news again, but stick to print so I can choose rather than be bombarded by what some producer provides the hoi polloi. I skimmed The Washington Post and The New York Times this morning and was reminded what a mistake it is for me to read news in the morning.

Morning's are fragile. I wake affected by stories my dreams told in the darkness and go write Morning Pages with music in the background. I begin the day creating something. Today, a draft for my big project. Yesterday, I wondered how to lose weight. I put words on pages. I create. It frames the day.

It's better than the news. For two years, that awful man's name has covered every front page. The news details his every tweet and bleat. I understand, but reading about this administration is a poor start to the day.

I'm reminded of the highway signs saying, it can wait. Texting while driving is only slightly more dangerous than reading about this administration and enabling Republicans. I must remember that morning is no time to spend in that sewer. The news can wait until I create something. And maybe I'll forget to check the news. I'll concentrate instead on people and things that really matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment