Monday, January 1, 2018

Amazon Is Too Easy


I want a break from Amazon, especially after holiday shopping. We have two packages still on the way and one return to mail, but then I'm taking a break. There are things about the company that I don't like. I'm not saying I'll never again use Amazon or that you shouldn't. I just want some friction in the purchasing process to make spending a little more difficult.

This began when I discovered Amazon's return shipping costs. We had three gifts to return and Amazon charges six to eight dollars each. Without free shipping, as we enjoy when ordering through my brother's Prime membership, the return became difficult. The friction was enough to have me rethink all but one return and my future plans.

Amazon removes almost all friction from buying and shipping. Ordering is too easy and items arrive in a couple days at seemingly no cost. Amazon, like Walmart before them, has lowered prices to my seeming benefit but at great hidden cost, and has made purchasing so easy I don't notice I'm spending money. It feels free because Amazon has greased away the friction. Good for them. Bad for me.

Thoreau talks of the trade in hours worked for a purchase. There's a sweatshirt I want, but it costs just over two hours. A Chromebook I want costs half a week's time at my day job. I want a browser extension that pops up the time cost before I buy.

Amazon returns, by the way, cost ten minutes on the job. I should have known about those costs, buyer beware and all, but the lack of friction helped mask all that.

Friction in purchasing is good and these three steps are a good start:

  1. Buy locally. Get off the couch and go to a store. The sheer bother is often enough to rethink the purchase or put it off until the desire fades. 
  2. Pay in cash. Go to the bank for paper money. Counting out money at the register reminds us we are also counting out time. 
  3. Take a break from Amazon. When some necessity is not available locally, make the effort to find an alternative to Amazon. 

I'm rebooting. Amazon hijacked my system. I clicked the link and take responsibility for the problem and I'm also taking responsibility for fixing it.

Ann Patchett wrote of a year of no shopping. Could I do that? I'm not sure, but I can take a break from Amazon and introduce some friction into my consumption.

By the way, there does seem to be a Chrome extension called Amazon Contemplate that asks, "do you really need this shit?" I haven't installed it in my browser, but that very idea is newly installed in my head. Friction can be a wonderful thing. Much better than the shit I might order and the time it costs to work it all off.

No comments:

Post a Comment