Sunday, December 17, 2017

Analog Creation, Digital Revision


Ruth Ware and J.K. Rowling tweeted about writing methods saying that there is no one true way to write. I’m a writing teacher and have sat through presentations of the writing process as if there’s only one. There are, of course, thousands of ways to write. I have used dozens. Lately, I rely on analog tools — pen, paper, and even a typewriter — which seem especially good for creation, then I move to digital to revise.  

Create in Analog With Pen, Paper, and Typewriter
If I begin with pen and paper, I take it to the typewriter for a second draft. If I begin on the typewriter, I may do a second typing, largely recopying with minor changes. The analog tools keep me creating rather than revising or editing. I can’t erase easily, so I just keep going. Analog tools keep the editor quiet. After typing, I set the pages aside and walk away. 

Edit With A Pen On Paper
I take up my blue felt-tip pen to cut words and mark holes in the draft. I make a big old mess,  handwriting new sentences in the margins or between the lines, writing whole new sections on the backs of pages, correcting mistakes, and drawing arrows. When the pages are covered in blue ink, I know I’m on the way and will be able to make something of it later. 

Retype To Make It Digital
After a break, I type the marked up draft into Google Docs. As I retype, I rewrite and rethink. The process only seems inefficient. This time spent seeing the piece again is crucial. I let the editor out to begin the work of polishing. Retyping doesn’t take long. I type fast and finish in one sitting. That done, I close the laptop and get out of the chair. 

Wait A While
After each stage I’ve taken a break. Sometimes it’s just make coffee, but I let the digital draft sit for hours, days, months, sometimes years. Time away allows me to return with fresh eyes and ears. I want to be a stranger to the piece as readers will be. In drafting I’ve sought mostly to entertain myself, but before publishing I have to consider how it will sound when read. Time away separates me from the creation and ownership of the words. I can then hack away at it for the sake of an audience, hearing what’s missing, focusing on what an audience needs. 

Read Aloud To An Imagined Audience
Reading aloud helps me become an audience to the piece. I force myself to read aloud though I don’t want to. It’s a bother and embarrassing, but reading aloud is the best way to really know the piece. Hearing myself read it aloud puts pressure on me to make it right. I make changes and the process often takes several readings, all of them aloud. It’s uncomfortable, but the payoff is tremendous. 

Publish And See What Happens
There’s a point at which I have to stop. I worry that I’m just tired or lazy and that there is more to do, but I have to guard against killing the thing. I put it out into the world and hope for reaction. I try to learn what works and what hasn’t. Already I’m thinking of the next piece. 

This Is Me, You Do You
This is my current process. Ruth Ware and J.K. Rowling have theirs. Mine has changed and will change again because there is no one true way. Analog tools help me create, pushing the editor aside until later in the process. It works well for me. Your mileage may vary. 

Let me know what you do. I could use more guidance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment