Friday, May 25, 2012

After Fear and Anxiety, Desire


I've taken a break from publishing here. I was writing about fear and what holds me back, wondering if anyone else suffered from the self-doubt I subject myself to. Turns out that a bunch of you do, maybe everyone. While that's comforting, it did nothing to alleviate my fears and hesitation. So I took a break and assessed where things are going, where I want to go, and succumbed to fear and anxiety for a week or so.

Today, rather than writing about fear and anxiety, I've been pushing forward.

On my other blog I have been publishing some prose poetry. I love writing all sorts of things, but I adore the prose poem. I read a fair share of poetry and hunt for new prose poets (let me know if you have any recommendations). Crafting poetry without line breaks, using punctuation, sentence and fragment to pace the thing just lights me up.

There is only so wide a readership for my blog and it's not enough for me. I want to push myself. The solution isn't tough to figure out: I have to get my stuff out to publishers. But I haven't.

I keep finding excuses not to publish. I know now that my problem is fear, but the problem hasn't resolved itself just because I know its name. Bummer.

After consulting with my therapist (and she must be getting tired of repeating things to me), I bought a copy of the Poet's Market, printed copies of every prose poem I've written, and began the process of sending stuff out into the world.

Today, studying the Poet's Market, I am struck again by the fear and anxiety. The things they describe seem out of my wheelhouse. I'm imagining better poets, disappointed editors, a mountain of rejections, and a petition sasking me to please, please stop trying to write poetry.

This anxiety stuff, I'm good at it. I kick ass at being afraid.

I don't have to go see my therapist again. I know what she'll say. I don't need to run away. I have at least six poems good enough for anything. I have more poems in me and can create something better out of the 120 others I've drafted. I can do this.

I simply need to be a writer. I don't have to be the best. Lucky for me. I don't even have to be the best prose poet. Good thing since Strand and Shumate are out of my league. I only have to do my best work, push myself, and find joy.

Previously, just writing for myself was enough. Then it was alright sharing with a few people. A blog was enough fora time. Now I want more. I need to see what I can do on a larger stage.

There's a lot to fear in this, but there is also a lot to desire and that's where it's at. Desire pushes me to a higher level and is more than enough reason to write on.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Brian, A step to publishing:
    Here in Annapolis we have open mic poetry readings 2x a month at 2 coffee houses. See if Syracuse offers some version of this. On open mic night you sign up in advance to read for 5 minutes. (Sometimes there are 2 rounds of readers so you get to read twice.) Audience is made up of poets and friends and some coffee house patrons. It's exciting to send one's poems or prose poems out of the nest flapping and soaring about the room! See what Syracuse has in this line and then... do it!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thank you for the recommendation. I just found one such reading happening in June and will scout for some more in a few moments. My guess is that there are more of these things happening when the colleges come back in session in August. I'll start looking through my stuff to see what would _sound_ best and find out what I need to do to read at this on in June.

      Delete
  2. You are certainly not alone in this, I experience it every day. Although with me it's not so much fear that paralyzes me, but rather not knowing how to go about doing something. I don't like challenges, I shy away from them for a time before finally tackling them. I read Outdoor Photographer and I see these young(ish) photographers getting published and I wonder how they did it. Not too hard to get published in local or regional mags, a whole other thing to get into Outdoor Photographer. Sitting at the bar in Shenandoah one evening, the high I had from having a great day of photography was supplanted by disillusionment as I flipped through the latest issue. How are these photographers doing it? I know how, and yet I also don't. There are steps I know that need to be taken that I haven't yet. I work hard at selling my work through various avenues, but I could work harder, and it's going to take that, at the very least. But enough about me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, actually, that's not enough about you because in a lot fewer words you have captured just what I have struggled with. I have some more fear tied up in mine, but a lot of the anxiety is in the challenge. I don't like diving into doing something that I don't yet know how to do. It puts me off.

      Susan, in the first comment, suggests going to some poetry open mic readings. It's a good idea and I should have thought of that. But even now, having it suggested to me, I'm wary of the idea. Still, my job is to wade through that and I've sent a couple emails out already to see if I can get in the game soon.

      At least you have your stuff hanging in libraries, coffee shops, and at festivals. You've got a good start on it. We just both have to keep going.

      Delete
  3. Brian,
    I always enjoy reading your blog. I'm not sure you were looking for advice, but I am giving it unsolicited nonetheless. The hardest part of publishing for me is pushing send. Every bit of self-loathing and insecurity comes rushing to the surface when I try to send something out into the world. But that is countered by a desire (and a very real need if I hope to get tenure..) to write and share my ideas with others.

    I keep waiting for the day when it stops being so scary. But I have learned that it is ALWAYS scary to trust your words to someone else, to expose yourself like that. And the more I talk with other people, the more I realize nearly everyone feels that way. I also try to think of every piece as a work in progress, even after it gets published. I know it could have been better, I know it didn't say quite what I wanted. But at least it is out there and others can take my ideas and do something with them. That is the fun part, knowing that someone else read the words and found them useful, or moving, or terrible. But at least they are part of the conversation. So push send... Christy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian,
    "Writers and Books" (WAB) of Rochester NY sponsors First Fridays (open mic sessions). Next one is June 1. WAB both publishes and awards the work of regional writers

    Also, the website of WAB links to a "Publishing FAQ" feature (http://www.wab.org/about/FAQ.shtml) that may interest you.

    I've missed reading your work. Glad to see it.

    Regards,
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete