Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Writer's Block, Runner's Block, and Relationship Blocks


I've struggled all day to think of something worthwhile to write on this blog. I started by thinking about numbers and accuracy but it didn't go much of anywhere. I tried just now to write about wanting to smash something against a wall, but that left me wanting to smash the laptop against the wall. Never a good idea, but especially troubling when the laptop is my own. And so, I'm left thinking about being blocked.

The typical version of this is writer's block. I don't believe in writer's block. It's hogwash. A blocked writer is one who is just not working, not writing. I have never suffered from a real writer's block. Instead, I have had days like today when I just don't feel like I can get anything good written. Writer's block isn't about having nothing to write, it's about believing that nothing I have to say is worthy. The cure is simple: to write something unworthy and move on. I applied that cure earlier today when, with nothing good coming out of my fingertips, I just plugged away until I had 750 words that were neither coherent nor elegant. Still, I had covered that much ground.

Throughout the day I had my notebook in front of me and while my students watched a film that we are studying, I kept at work on a short story idea about a man with cold hands. I hand-wrote 11 pages of the thing before it fell apart. I stared at the last three pages, reading and re-reading, hoping that the ending would resolve itself. I went back to the beginning after the kids had gone home, but the whole thing was only murkier to me. I had nothing. Well, I had 11 pages, I just had nothing for an ending. Not yet anyway.

Other blocks are tougher to deal with. In running, I occasionally hit the block of not getting out the door. For a year now I haven't been able to get out of bed and run in the morning with anything approaching regularity. Time was, I got out of bed before five and hit the gym each morning by 5:30. Now, the alarm goes off and I fail to summon the will to rise. I solve that problem by running in the afternoons, but that's hit or miss. Last week was hit, this week is miss. I think about running in the abstract and it sounds good to me, but in the actual world, the one in which it rains and I come home from work ready for a nap, it's much more challenging to get out there and do the miles.

I end up not getting out on the road and instead sitting on the couch or (heaven forbid) typing at a computer as I am now and feeling badly about it. Like writing, my running blocks are usually me deciding that I couldn't possibly go out for a run and sabotaging those things. The solution is as simple as it is for writing: just get my self out there on the road and get running.

Finally, there are blocks that are much more challenging to me and for which I don't have simple answers. These have do to with relationships such as those I have with my wife, my children, my family, and my friends. The blocks here are similar to writing and running blocks in that the block is largely a matter of avoiding the task at hand, a matter of failing to engage.

The solutions here are probably just as simple too, but I resist them. When I am having a relationship block there is a large part of me that revels in that block, the clings to it. I think that others have this most often when driving. A driver cuts you off in traffic and you curse them out. Maybe you flip them off. I tend to pull up to their bumper and flash my headlights (really mature, eh?). You should just let it go. I mean, what's done is done. But the feeling lingers, the anger is still there and you want...something. So it is with me in relationships. I get frustrated and I want...something. What that something is, I don't know then and on reflection I still don't know.

It has been the kind of day when I don't know what I want, don't know how to get the relief I feel I need (mostly because I couldn't describe the relief if my life depended on it). Still, maybe there is comfort in the simple fact that I have been able to churn out something like 5000 words on a day of writer's block. Now all I have to do is to get myself out in the rain for a run and maybe sit down with someone I love (and who loves me) to try and figure out where I have come off my tracks.

That, and as always, I need to write on.

7 comments:

  1. Some days when I read your blog I think that you are living in my head. Today is one of those days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea, while I'm not living in your head, I do occasionally stop by and stay the night there. Usually I try to sweep up afterward and leave a bottle of bourbon on the table as a thank you. It's what my folks trained me to do.

    People who stay in _my_ head admire how light and airy it is in there. And roomy too as there doesn't seem to be very much going on up there other than the wind whistling through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and, this ^^^^^^ is why I think you are really amazing. Will you be my friend? Please? Btw, I would prefer red wine. Or beer. Beer is always good. Oh, and while you are in my head, will you be a dear and rearrange a few things in there. They are kind of fuzzy lately. Thanks much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll mop up, take the bourbon, and leave you a nice Shiraz-Cabernet along with a six of Middle Ages Wailing Wench. As for being friends, you read what I write. This makes you my friend by default. The fact that you're a runner and do Epic Shit seals the deal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get a room you two, maybe in MY head. Trust me, there's room. Great post Brian. I agree with you on all three and could use the most work on the third, as I often forget that being here with my wife is not the same as being there for my wife.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No truer words have been written about the blocks in our lives than

    "Writer's block isn't about having nothing to write, it's about believing that nothing I have to say is worthy. The cure is simple: to write something unworthy and move on."

    I fight this all the time and truly believe that it's the practice (just like in sports) that eventually makes epic anything possible.

    ReplyDelete